Alexa Skill Companion
Control Presence with your voice
Voice control for your home is here. Presence now works with Amazon Echo. Presence – today’s most expandable and intelligent free smart home security app – can now perform a number of helpful tasks with voice commands. You can manage your Presence home security system with the ease of saying, “Alexa, ask Presence to turn on my lights”.
Now integrated with Amazon Echo, Presence is able to control your home’s lighting, electric appliances, and your thermostat – all from simple voice commands. As you’d expect, it’s fun and simple, and with an Amazon Echo you can begin using it today.
- Enable the Presence skill by opening the Alexa App and selecting Skills, and search for "Presence".
- After choosing to enable the skill, you will be required to enter your Presence username and password.
- When finished, close the tab to return to the Alexa app.
- That's it. Now say "Alexa, ask Presence about this skill."
Stuff you can do with Amazon Echo
Depending on the devices installed on your expandable Presence smart home system, you can enable a variety of helpful home automation tasks. Here are some examples.
Check the status of Presence
Know exactly what's going on in your home by having Alexa describe the status of your sensors and devices to you. When asked, Alexa will tell you about all your sensors and Presence smartphone cameras.
"Alexa, ask Presence for a summary of my devices", to check on all connected devices.
"Alexa, ask Presence for the status of my lights (or smart plugs, living room, my house, etc.)", to get the status for a specific device, room or zone.
"Alexa, ask Presence for help", to learn more about Presence.
Presence app control
In addition to voice control for a variety of smart home functions, you can control the Presence app with your voice in a variety of helpful ways:
"Alexa, ask Presence to take a picture of my living room", to capture a photograph from your Presence-enabled smartphone camera.
"Alexa, ask Presence for a summary of my mode", to understand which security mode your Presence system is set. (Home, Away, Vacation, Sleep, etc.)
"Alexa, ask Presence to set Away mode", to arm your home when leaving. (Numeric code is required when using Presence Pro Security, available for purchase from within the app.)
"Alexa, ask Presence how I write back", to provide your feedback to the Presence team.
Smart plug control
Presence and Amazon Echo work with Centralite internet-connected smart plugs, available from http://www.presencepro.com/store/smart-plug, and the in-app Presence store. Internet connected smart plugs allow you to manage and automate electric power to your home’s small appliances and consumer devices with the convenience of voice control:
"Alexa, ask Presence to turn on (or off) my outlets (or living room, my house, etc.)", to control a device or devices in the house, zone, or room.
Smart lighting control
Presence and Amazon Echo work with GE Link internet-connected smart lighting solutions, available from https://www.amazon.com/GE-60-Watt-Equivalent-1-Pack-Zigbee/dp/B00NOL16K0. Enable an entirely new kind of lighting control in your home with your voice:
"Alexa, ask Presence to brighten/dim my lights", to control all your lights.
"Alexa, ask Presence to brighten/dim my living room", to control specific room lights.
"Alexa, ask Presence to brighten/dim my lights by 10 percent", to control lighting by percentage.
"Alexa, ask Presence to brighten/dim my living room lights by 10 percent", to control lighting in specific rooms or zones by percentage.
Smart thermostat control
Presence and Amazon Echo works with the Centralite Pearl thermostat, available from http://www.presencepro.com/store/presence-thermostat-white and http://www.presencepro.com/store/presence-thermostat-black. Enjoy the convenience of controlling your home’s heating and cooling with your voice:
"Alexa, ask Presence to increase/decrease my thermostat by 3 degrees", to change thermostat settings in specific one-degree increments.
"Alexa, ask Presence to set my thermostat to 72 degrees", to change thermostat settings to a specific temperature.
"Alexa, ask Presence to set my thermostat to heat/cool mode" to change HVAC status.
Custom groups with Presence
Customize Presence and Amazon Echo to control specific parts your home – the kitchen, your home office, the garage or wherever. Do this by opening the Presence app and selecting “Cameras & Devices”. Tap the device that you want to put into a group, and tap 'Edit' and re-name your device to fit any of the following groups: Living Room, Kitchen, Closet, Hallway, Outside, Basement, Dining Room, Attic, Guest Room, Kids, Garage, Office, Whole Home, Laundry, Vacation, or Saloon. You can then manage specific areas and activities in your home with Presence voice control. Groups are stackable too. That means any device can be associated with any number of groups – for even greater home automation control.
Presence: Optimized for Smart Home
Using Amazon's Smart Home API, this skill enables fine-tuned control over your Presence lights, plugs and thermostats.
You'll be able to:
- Turn on/off lights and smart plugs
- Set the brightness of your light bulbs
- Adjust the thermostat temperature
- Enable the smart home skill by opening the Alexa App and selecting Skills, and search for "Presence: Optimized for Smart Home".
- After choosing to enable the skill, you will be required to enter your Presence username and password
- When finished, close the tab to return to the Alexa app. Alexa will automatically begin discovering compatible Presence devices.
- That's it. Alexa will tell you how many devices were found.
If you want to control devices by groups or zones (e.g. living room, upstairs, downstairs, garage, etc.), you'll need to put those devices into a group. You can open the Alexa app and go to the Smart Home menu. From there, you can create new groups of devices by selecting "Create Group" under Your Groups.
If you like to read instructions before using something new, have a look in the Alexa app under Skills > Smart Home > Presence: Optimized for Smart Home to learn more.
Presence and Amazon Echo compatibility
Apple iOS version of the Presence app is compatible with:
- iPhone 3GS or newer
- iPad 2 or newer
- iPod Touch 4th generation or newer
- iOS 6 or newer
Android version of the Presence app is compatible with:
- Devices that release with (not upgraded to) Android OS v4.4.x or later
- Chipset: ARMv7a or later
- RAM: 2GB
- SPACE: 100MB or more of free space
Note: Take a picture feature is currently only available on iOS.
Devices capable of Presence and Amazon Echo controls
- Presence Smart Plug (http://www.presencepro.com/store/smart-plug)
- GE Link LED Bulb (https://www.amazon.com/GE-60-Watt-Equivalent-1-Pack-Zigbee/dp/B00NOL16K0)
- Presence Thermostat (http://www.presencepro.com/store/presence-thermostat-white)
- Presence Security Packs (http://www.presencepro.com/store/):
- Entry Sensor (http://www.presencepro.com/store/entry)
- Motion Detector (http://www.presencepro.com/store/motion)
- Touch Sensor (http://www.presencepro.com/store/touch)
- Water Sensor (http://www.presencepro.com/store/water)
- Temperature Sensor (http://www.presencepro.com/store/temperature)
- Humidity Sensor (http://www.presencepro.com/store/humidity)
- Presence Gateway